What’s up, 2012? Just checking in with you for a second. A couple more posts like this and I may earn another badge. Score one for me!
I’ve officially survived the first week of 2012. So far, so good. No disasters of cataclysmic proportion to report just yet (then again, if the Mayans were so good at predicting the future, couldn’t they have prevented being conquered by the Spanish? Just sayin’). I’m not certainly not trying to jinx the rest of 2012, but so far things have gone off without a hitch. God willing, the rest of the year will follow suit.
– Now I will freely admit that it’s a bit weird that there is currently no snow on the ground, especially in a notoriously evil place like Michigan in January. But I’m not trippin’. After all, my dear friends on the right have told me that there is no such thing as global warming. #SighOfRelief
– I guess it’s also a bit weird that the fate of the universe will probably be decided this November. I mean, except for maybe Mitt Romney (at least the Mitt Romney who shows up every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday. The one I actually like.), I shudder at the thought of any of the loons from this pathetic Republican field earning their party’s nomination and, quite possibly, a residency in the White House. It’s odd that Republicans haven’t simply rallied around the lone guy who appears at least partially sane in this whole thing. But, we’ll see what happens down the road. Whatever the case may be, the humble host of this blog will have plenty to write about.
Let’s see. What else can I update you on, Mr. 2012?
– Ah, yes. Michigan won a BCS game! Yes, that Michigan. Annoying voice or not, Brady Hoke is a flippin’ genius for the way he took us from being the laughingstock of the college football world to a team with a restored sense of national relevance. The 2012 schedule will be brutal for the Maize and Blue, but after the insane turnaround season we had, I see big things down the road.
– Speaking of turnarounds, the Lions just lost their playoff game. Wait. What? The Lions made the playoffs? Yes, 2012. You heard me correctly. The Detroit Lions, yes…those Detroit Lions…made it to the playoffs. The city of Detroit hasn’t seen a drastic improvement of that nature since…oh, right…last year. Don’t get me wrong: the D is probably still not a place where you’d buy your first home (though even that’s up for debate now), or find the next American Idol. But if you want to find a team in whom you can take some pride, the Lions would be it. I know, right?
– The Pistons? Yeah. No comment.
– Despite her being evil enough to make the most insidious hellspawn jealous, I made one last attempt to reach out to the ex. She ignored my olive branch offer or, knowing her, took it and made a fire out of it. Oh well. Some levels of evil just can’t be helped with human logic and goodwill. I think she may need to have Damascus Road experience or something. That, or an exorcism. You know, some kind of divine intervention. OK 2012: real talk? As cathartic as some of my potshots may be, a part of me really does feel bad for her. When a person like her can get so delusional that they can’t take an honest and introspective look at themselves, it’s a sad sight. Maybe you can give her the much needed insight that 2011 couldn’t. While you’re at it, I wouldn’t mind a little more discernment on my end. I wasn’t perfect to her, but I was a pretty good guy. But knowing when to fold ’em has never been my thing. I pray that I don’t waste too much more of myself on people like her, especially if it’s at the expense of better people.
All things considered though, you’re off to a great start in my book. I still have the love of my family, good friends to keep me stable, a great job, a cool apartment, my health (save a cold I haven’t been able to completely shake) and a few marbles rolling around in my head. This is no small feat in a place like Flint, Michigan.
On top of it all, I have the grace of God, which sustains me even when I don’t deserve it. I miss the mark time and time again, but I’m still in God’s good favor. Can’t beat that.
Anyway, looking forward to hanging with you for another 51 weeks, God willing. Let’s make it a good one, 2012!