As most of you are well aware, Haiti was rocked by a devastating earthquake yesterday. A country historically plagued with disaster and hardship has been struck again. Rather than itemizing their calamities as if their name was Job, or focusing on how some idiots are blaming them for their hardships, I’m asking all who can: do whatever you can in support of our brothers and sisters. As of now, I’ve found a few different ways you can donate money towards Haitian relief:
– Musician Wyclef Jean is promoting a program from the Yele Hait Foundation. Simply text the phrase “Yele” to 501501 and a $5 donation will be charged to your cell phone bill.
– Text the phrase “Haiti” to “90999,” and a $10 donation will automatically be given to the Red Cross. Again, the charge will show up on your phone bill.
– CNN has compiled a list of organizations accepting donations. NPR has done the same.
– The good folks over at Partners in Health (founded in Haiti by Paul Farmer) are accepting donations.
– My blogging buddies over at Uptown Notes have dropped some great links with info on how to get involved.
I’m sure there are plenty of places where we can donate. If you find other places, please feel free to drop those links. Ultimately, it doesn’t matter which one(s) you choose. The important thing is that you donate if you can. Whether it’s $5 or $5 million, whatever you can offer will go towards aiding our brothers and sisters.
Thanks to you all for whatever you can do. You’ll be blessed for it.